Friday 9 April 2021

There Is So Much Modern Technology That I Do Not Understand,

bitcoin being one of them,


photograph BBC, I have mentioned the currency a couple of times before, in December 2019, and again in November 2020, but it is the terms like 'bitcoin mining' that I find so difficult to understand how do you mine bitcoin? also I was staggered by the cost if this mining, by 2024, bitcoin mining in China will require 297terawatt-hours of energy and account for approximately 5.4 per cent of the carbon emissions from generating electricity in the country, analysis by Guan Dabo at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, and his colleagues suggests that the total carbon footprint of bitcoin mining in China will peak in 2024, releasing around 130 million metric tonnes of carbon, to put that in context 130 million metric tonnes of carbon is the annual carbon emissions of countries including Italy and the Czech Republic! I have to say it again, I do not understand how a fictional currency can consume so much electrical resources, but there it is, it must be me.


2 comments:

jpo5626 said...

Stanley-I am with you! I don’t get it other than a virtual tax avoidance scheme with no boundaries. I do see non transparency and a high risk for anyone playing with them to lose money with no traceability or recourse to recoup their loss. Who originated this scheme and what is the motive? Fits with one world society, no countries and social media ruling. Scary!!!!!!!
John and Alley

PattayaStan said...

Dear John and Alley, it seems a huge risk, unless like a ponzie scheme you got in at the beginning of it, but who ever thought of it must be worth a fortune! best regards, Stan and Diana.