Monday 6 December 2021

Seeing The Triumph Thruxton R,

in our post reminded me of this,


just a couple of days ago the new Gold Star was first shown, it is a modern day replica of a very famous brand and model, formally a 500cc B.S.A. Gold Star, photographs MCN,

the new replica is still the BSA brand, now owned by The Mahindra Group - one of Asia’s largest automotive and engineering conglomerates,

available five colours, the A2-compliant machine is powered by a 652cc single-cylinder DOHC engine, producing a claimed 45bhp at 6000rpm and 41ftlb of torque at 4000rpm.

the motorcycle runs on Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp tyres, which wrap around the 18in front and 17in rear 36-spoke rims – with braking power provided by a single 320mm front and 255mm rear disc with Brembo calipers and two channel ABS.

just a shame as far as I am concerned that it is water cooled, the radiator at the front of the engine really looks nasty compared to the original air cooled motorcycle, but there it is, hopefully available next year priced it is expected between £5,000 - £6,000, would I like one? yes please! now will the company please make a air cooled modern version of a Vincent? please!


2 comments:

jpo5626 said...

Stan-this model reminds me of the Royal Enfield 500 single cylinder bike produced for many years in India. In 1999 while living in Delhi I purchased 2 of these 500s that were supposed to have been modified for export to meet USA emissions standards. I had these shipped to USA after paying $2800 each and $700 each for shipping. I moved back to USA and 4 months later US customs called from the port to report that the bikes shipped had been switched out for those non compliant with USA emissions standards. When buying I actually visited the factory and worked with the general manager to use a “trusted” dealer in Delhi to make sure these were emission compliant, but the greed of the dealer took over. My solution: I had my former driver organize a large group of tough Delhi drivers that visited the dealer on my behalf demanding a refund if I released the packed bikes back to Enfield. While drivers were in the dealer shop I called the factory General Manager, explained what the dealer had done and that they needed to enforce proper business ethics with a refund. In the end The factory told the dealer they would be blacklisted if they did not refund me. Meanwhile the drivers indicated they would return to enforce a refund and make things uncomfortable for the dealer day to day. Bingo- next day a non related Indian doctor in New York sent me special delivery two cashiers checks covering all costs. I ran to the bank and cashed these checks. Surprisingly they were good. Sad India has a poor business ethics reputation but with the right approach and connections one can still operate in that risky environment. So I got close to owning an Royal Enfield one lunger but it was not to be!
Maybe that incident prevented me from a nasty spill or injury so I always smile when I see old style big one lingers running with their distinctive sound…enjoying from a distance. And I am still alive!!!
Regards
John and Alley

PattayaStan said...

Dear John and Alley, it is so sad to hear of your experiences with Royal Enfield, the good news over here is that there are UK Royal Enfield dealers like Bennetts,

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/royal-enfield/meteor-350-2021

so hopefully no problems for UK riders, I still hanker after a motorcycle but with no garage to keep it in, the bike would a thief magnet! best regards, Stan and Diana.