Saturday 16 February 2019

I Have Done It Again!

living outside of England for so long,


I have not been brought up in this PC culture that we have now, so I do drop the occasional gaff when it comes to being PC, like at Stonehenge a few weeks ago, when I said, as I bought tickets for myself and Diana, 'one for a OAP (old aged pensioner) and one adult' the reply was, 'we do not use that term anymore, you are a concession', well in my book I am still an OAP, moving on, in retail sales I have often heard the term, 'he could sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo', an example of how good a salesman someone is, I have now found that the phrase is not only offensive, it is racist, that is right if ever you have used or thought of the word Eskimo you are a racist! the proper name for these people groups is "Inuit" though there are also various Arctic groups apart from the Inuits such as the Aleut, Nunavut, and Yupik, so where does the term "Eskimo" come from and why has it been used to refer to people who live in the Arctic regions? for more about the use of this racist word have a look here, I wonder what gaff I am going to make next week?


No comments: