Friday 10 May 2019

The Day Started With Rain,

so going for a walk in the park was off for today,


 but I did want a piece of glass cut and drilled for a small project, so off to Norwood where there is a glass shop that can drill holes in glass, hopefully sometime next week it will be ready, arriving home I was soaked, I had to get two buses to Norwood, and the same two back, you guessed it, every time I got off of the bus the rain started, and to add to my discomfort the rain really chucked it down for the long walk from the last bus through the park to home,

 as an aside Jil asked what the book was that I read at dinner times, well years ago I collected books from the turn of the century, and just before, mainly about fish, fishkeeping, naturally history and travel, I particularly liked the author, the Rev. J. G. Wood, here is his life history written by his son in 1890, and have about 15 of his works, but this is not by the Revered, but it is in a similar style, 

 titled Pictorial Wonders And Tales Of Wild Life,

 it has a frontispiece in color,

 inside there are about 90 short stories, all 2 to 3 page each which I read as Diana is preparing our dinner, unfortunately there is no author or date, the only thing I have been able to find out is that it was offered with both a red cover or a blue cover, the stories are of travel, stories like this one, from Siam,

 this is the ending of the short story, the first full page above it,

or this one about natural history,

all have an elaborate first title letter,

and are normally illustrated with a black and white woodblock print, hopefully when our attic has it's radiators and carpet put in, I will have the scanner working, so I will endeavour to scan a few more books that I have, rather than take photographs of the pages, back to today, Steve called round in the afternoon, then for us in the evening, a few quiz shows, 

next feet up for three more episodes of Game of Thrones, we were only going to watch two, but as usual the second one we watched left us with such a cliffhanger we just had to watch the third, and with the end of that, we were off to bed.





3 comments:

MikeC said...

Here you go ......
https://www.artsper.com/en/contemporary-artworks/sculpture/257782/pictorial-wonders-and-tales-of-wild-life

MikeC said...

then again, maybe not .......

PattayaStan said...

Dear Mike, many thanks for looking, it seems a shame to ruin such a nice read, but it could be that the book was already part consumed by mould or bookworm so it was 'repurposed', the good news is that I am still enjoying reading it before each meal at the table, best regards, Stan and Dana.