Friday 18 January 2019

I Joined Steve,

in the morning,


who kindly picked me up as he is having some work done to his car, so off to Newton Honda in South Croydon we went,

 the visit gave me some time to look at a few new Honda's, plus more in our price range, the secondhand ones for sale outside, which I have to say seem to keep their prices remarkably well,

 on the way back we called into Kingfishereies, in Croydon Road, Beckenham, where I used to work

 and spotted this beauty,

 a wolf fish, one of the Hoplias of South America,

 I had a quick look at some of the other aquariums,

 both freshwater,

 and marine,

 looking down on the invertebrate aquarium,

 there were a number of hard,

 and soft corals to look at,

 and a sea cucumber,

and some of the more unusual aquariums that the shop stocks,

 saying farewell to Steve as he dropped me off at home, Diana put her cold weather gear on and we were off on the tram to Croydon, 

where we had decided to have breakfast at The George in George Street,

 for Diana, the Ultimate Burger as it was advertised as,

and it was a size,

 for myself, a gammon steak, which was twice as big as it looked, the one underneath was the same size as the one on top, plus two eggs, 

 and a bottle of wine, well it had to be Diablo to start the day with, 'Cheers!', the meal for both of us came to a tad under £25.00, 

 both of us feeling full, we made our way towards the High Street,

 and here it was, Diana went window shopping, we arranged a time to meet up later,

 I went to Surrey Street Market, 

 but before I went into Surrey Street,

 I heard the clanging of the tram,

 it is a really useful service going from Beckenham Junction,

 to Wimbledon, 

 I made my way through the market,

 looking at all of the produce for sale,

 from the UK,

 and the four corners of the world,

 now I was on a mission, the lure of the Dog & Bull was overcome,

as this was what I was looking for, a pet shop I remembered from when I was just 5 or 6 years old in the mid 1950's Dabners,

 and these were what I was after, peanuts in shells,

 we had decided to go to Kelsey Park tomorrow for our walk, 

 so we wanted to feed the tree rats,

I should mention the shop is huge,

and even has an aquatic section,

I mentioned to the owner that I remembered coming here as a kid and they had a yellow and blue parrot, that seemed not to like anyone getting a close, and if they did would give a not very playful nip on the arm, it turns out that Charlie, the parrot, whose age was unknown at the time when it was bought in the early 1950's, died just 2 years ago,


 by now we had meet up, so Diana bought five of these,

 and a bowl of bananas, which were actually cheaper than they are in Thailand, which seems odd as bananas are grown there, these have to be shipped across the Atlantic Ocean from Latin American,

 we continued our walk,

past a few more stalls,

 and bought a bowl of mini oranges,

 a nice mix of colours,

 a few peppers,

 these shaped differently,

 a last look at some fruit,

 and the fresh fish stall,

 crabs, yummy!

and our shopping was done,

 we made our way back towards the towers, 

 looking along the High Street towards Brighton,

 and towards Streatham,

 when I noticed this piece of street art,

 I could not see who the artist was,

  but I liked the reflection in the eye,

 we walked,

 back to the tram stop and in half an hour we were home,

after our evening meal it was feet up for A Knight's Tale, which was great fun, we followed that with a couple from the Poirot box and then for us we were off to bed.


No comments: