Tuesday 16 October 2012

Monday Today,

so back to the painting,


it is such a pain washing out brushes that we throw them away after a days use, a bit wasteful I know but at 6 for £1 it is not too expensive, especially when you factor in the price of thinners that is needed to clean them, so back to the hardware store for a few more,

today I thought I would give the lights a bit of new paint, they have not done well being in full sunlight, notice the rain clouds in the distance,

 Diana spent the day tidying the house and keeping me supplied with cool drinks,

 and here is one I did earlier, next job cut in with white paint and all should be well for the next few years, on the good news front we had now finished the front gate and fence, now just both sides to go,

just as I finished the rain came down, so I will have to wait till tomorrow to see if it has had any effect on the wet paint, for the evening after my salmon salad we watched some of the new seasons offerings of Pawn Starts and Deadliest Catch, then a film from Russia, Fortress of War, yes it is in Russian but it does have English subtitles,


on June 22 1941German invaders storm the Brest Fortress, originally it was the largest 19th century fortress of the Russian Empire, one of the western Russian fortresses, it is located at the confluence of the Mukhavets and Bug rivers with total area 4 km², its layout was developed by Russian general K.I.Opperman in 1830 and the initial phase of the construction lasted from 1836 until 1842, the fortifications were then progressively modernised and expanded throughout the 19th century, with forts added around the original fortress, the final works were carried out in 1914, the first year of World War I, culminating in a fortified area 30 km in circumference,


but back to the film, veteran Alexander Akimov recalls the memories of the time, telling the story of the defence of the fortress and the efforts of individual soldiers and the civilians that were trapped inside, the film is so different to many war films I have seen, starting out with a family day out showing probably how things and times really were in those prewar days when war indeed was in fact just a rumour, a memorable movie about war from the Russian perspective, also a theatre of war that I knew nothing about, so I am glad we made the purchase of it, a tomb and memorial has been built on the site in memory of the 962 defenders of the fortress that died there, we then watched another couple from Kings of Restoration, then for us we were off to bed.

No comments: