Friday 6 November 2009

I Do Not Know If It Is Just Me,

but every time I read about something being 'good' for me, in a couple of years time it is declared 'bad' like aspirin, it seemed to be accepted that 60 to 80 milligrams a day should be taken to help avoid heart attacks and strokes by people over 50 years old, experts now say that for otherwise healthy people any protection against cardiovascular disease may be outweighed by an increased risk of internal bleeding, even holidays can kill! whilst they are good for fun, relaxation and unwinding, travel, time with the family, change of routine, they are bad for digestion, hangovers, accidents, illness and - this may come as a surprise - mental breakdowns, or how about oily fish? good for protecting against heart disease in adults, boosting brain function and IQ in children, and in the developing foetus, thanks to the Omega 3 fatty acids that it contains, but bad for mercury, a toxic chemical absorbed by oily fish, which can affect IQ and increase the risk of heart disease, for a complete A - Z of what is good and bad for you go here, now do I take my daily aspirin or not? 'that detective is the right question' (I, Robot, spoken by Dr. Alfred Lanning).

2 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

In order to determine whether you should be taking a daily 81 mg aspirin, you should go to your doctor's office and have coagulation studies done. These check how thick/thin your blood is normally. Also, your family history of heart health is a big factor in determining whether daily aspirin is a good thing.

I don't think that it has ever been recommended that normally healthy people take aspirin daily. I'm pretty sure that the advice was always, "Aspirin can help; ask your doctor for more information."

PattayaStan said...

Dear Jil, thanks for the info, over in the UK it almost became a mantra a few years ago to take a 'baby' aspirin a day, as heart attacks/strokes and cancer has killed off all of my relatives, (except the kids) I will still take one a day, I use Bayer aspirin plus with cholesterol lowering phytosterols 81mg, sounds technical but I just copied it off the bottle! best regards, Stan and Diana.