Thursday 21 December 2017

During Our Meal Last Night At Cherry's,

we chatted about one of my favorite films,


The Third Man, filmed in Vienna, I have lost count of the number of times I have watched it, 

and I would guess if you have not seen the film, you will recognize the theme tune of it in any event in the recording of it above, and if you have not seen the film here is a description of it, I mentioned that both Diana and myself would like to visit Vienna, and go on a Third Man tour, little did I know but there is such a thing

for myself and I guess many others the closing scene is the shot that means so much, after a long, almost two minute shot of her walk along the cemetery road, with Martens waiting for her, Anna ignores him, and the movie ends, this final long walk was apparently shot by uncredited German cameraman Hans Schneeberger, but due to the mindless pettiness and instance of British unions, none of the Viennese cinematographers units were allowed to have credits in the film,   

the avenue as it is today, as an aside Orson Welles was the Third Man, apparently a difficult actor, but in this film he made perhaps one of the most well known add on's, in a speech where he improvised whilst talking to Cotton, 

and it was kept in the film, just a 20 second speech and totally off of the cuff, what a great film, as is his Citizen Kane, but that will have to wait for another post.


No comments: