Thursday 5 November 2020

I Hear That AI, That Is Artificial Intelligence, Is Great,

and that you can by cars that drive themselves without crashing, 


but some times I guess AI can be a curse, especially if you are a fan of Inverness Caledonian Thistle Football Club, commonly known as Caley Thistle or Caley Jags, which competes in the Scottish Championship, the second echelon of the Scottish Professional Football League, I guess to save money they did away with human cameramen and put in a AI camera to follow the action, but it all went embarrassingly wrong, for the linesman,
 
the AI-powered Pixellot camera system was installed at its Caledonian Stadium, but last week the system managed to annoy viewers by constantly mistaking a linesman’s bald head for the ball during a game with Ayr United, according to football news website ThickAccent, “the camera kept on mistaking the ball for the bald head on the sidelines, denying viewers of the real action while focusing on the linesman instead”. Fans watching the game at home took to social media to complain that the camera kept swinging back to follow the linesman instead of the actual game, which made them miss much of the action, and even one of the two goals scored on the night, “Inverness Caledonian Thistle don’t employ a cameraman as their camera is programmed to follow the ball throughout the match. The commentator had to apologize today as the camera kept on mistaking the ball for the linesman’s head…” Twitter user Tom Cox posted, “The Pixellot system uses cameras with in-built, AI, ball-tracking technology to produce live HD footage of all home SPFL Championship matches at Caledonian Stadium,” an Inverness announcement stated, I guess it was a good job I was not there on the sidelines! 


2 comments:

jpo5626 said...

Good one I am completely bald so get lots of funny comments such as cue ball etc
I referred my good friend living in Vinh Tu Vietnam to start following your blog as well. He just turned 71 so a tad bit older than both of us...but we are not far behind. Note our location SW of Ocala FL does not show on your blog map. I understand servers are located in key spots but only see Orlando FL so some distance from our Central Florida location. Keep an eye out for Far South Vietnam showing up soon. Did they decide to keep Diana’s McDonalds open during the lockdown? Regards John an Alley Olive

PattayaStan said...

Dear John and Alley Olive, as I mentioned it was a good job I was not on the side lines! I hope your friend in Vietnam enjoys the blog, we visited there some time ago, if you enter Vietnam in the search box at the top of the opening page, if you are interested you can see our time there, I will look out for a Vietnam guest the next time I am posting, my favourite bald name, Chrome Dome! best regards, Stan and Diana.