Sunday 26 November 2023

With A Name Beauclaire,

and with tag lines like 'Sports de jour' I thought this button company was based in France,


all images vintagestitch.com.au but apparently the company was in Australia, 

at the time of these advertisements buttons were big business, 

I guess shortly after the war many people made their cloths at home,

which spawned advertisements like these, for a look at Australian button history have a look here, as it happens way back in the late 1950s I can remember shops selling dress patterns, buttons, sewing thread and other items of haberdashery in both Croydon, Woolwich and indeed Plumstead, today I can not think of seeing even one.


2 comments:

jpo5626 said...

Dear Stanley and Diana
Growing up, my mom made all my shirts and my sisters’ dresses. She would visit the big fabric and button shop downtown to buy patterns, pick materials and colored thread. It was a great experience as we always road the bus and Mom and kids would go in the morning to pick out the colors of fabric each season for our new clothes. Afterwards if we were good in the fabric shop, we got to go Fir’s Cafeteria by the shop for a fun lunch. My favorite all time summer shirt when I was 6-7 was black based color with red sports cars. Pretty fancy-wanted to wear it everyday and wore it completely out one summer. Good memories!!!!
Thanks for mentioning the buttons as it triggered the above memory that I have not thought about for over 50 years! Things and pleasures were simpler then-we had a pretty pure, happy childhood.
Thanks!
John and Alley

PattayaStan said...

Dear John and Alley, how strange that on our trip to Bath we saw the biggest haberdashery we have ever seen! so glad it brought back happy memories for you, as it happens sometimes when I am looking for a previous post I chance on something or some place that I had completely forgotten about that Diana and myself visited, best regards, Stan and Diana.