Sunday 18 November 2018

I Have Mentioned,

many times before,


 how I like the look of a board trackera murderess sport if ever there was one, or bobber look on motorcycles,

 and here is another, but a strange choice of donor motorcycle, a Royal Enfield,

 Java’s Lembinc is headed by Rizqi Patama, He works for a design agency,although it has to be said the highlight of his year is designing the Sekepal Aspal MotoArt Exhibition in Jakarta, a huge event that brings together all the best builds from across the archipelago, on to the motorcycle, “I made a lot of sketches for this project,” he says, “For me, sketches are a must”, so he made out the plan on photoshop to determine the direction of the build, He landed on this, a 1930’s inspired board tracker,

 then it was time to get dirty, “After everything was torn down I kept the engine, the electricals and then chopped the rear subframe, I then put it on the table jig beside my drawing”, to get the proportions bang-on, he made up a pair of 21” wheels, the front is a Suzuki TS125 mounted to a bespoke hub and the rear is a mash of custom parts and CB650 brake components,

 that’s where things with the custom Enfield became a royal pain, “The hardest thing was the rear brake system,” Rizqi says. “I had around five attempts at making the rear brake linkage. I had to transfer the brake lever from the right side to the left side, all because I changed the rear drum”, but when that was sorted, work moved onto the lines of the bike,

 the tank was chrome-dipped and finished with a classic scallop paint job by local heros Evo Cycles Work, the rest of the frame and nosecone were finished in gloss black, while plenty of other detail parts went in for chrome dipping, the build took a total of 3 months,

  “My main concern was the stance,” Riz recalls, “So I did plenty of adjustment of the ground clearance and the wheelbase”. Rizqi drew inspiration for the girder front end from an old BSA M20, stretched 2cms longer and with some simplified mounting points,

  the rear sub is custom made as well, from ½ inch stainless steel pipe,


above Riz is preparing the bike for the 2018 Kustomfest show in Jogja, and as he says, it’s a blast to ride. “It’s totally different,” Rizqi explains, “You can feel the responsive acceleration because I’ve made the rear sprocket bigger. It looks classic, but has a sportsbike-like riding position, and of course, it’s a cop magnet here!” what a neat looking Royal Enfield, photographs by @ilhamnuriadi.


No comments: