Monday 5 August 2019

To Really Appreciate This Video,

run it at twice its normal speed,


so go here, when you view the video click settings, then playback speed and click 2, you will then be treated to the ping pong balls playing Jacques Offenbach's "Galop Infernal" from the operetta Orpheus in the Underworld, which most of us call "the Can-can." DoodleChaos used 213 ping pong balls to play the xylophone, he comments on the methodology, ‘I underestimated how random ping pong ball bounces are. Even on a perfectly flat tile, there can be over a foot diameter where the final bounce ends up. My first design for this contraption included 3 bounces, but I ended up redesigning it to be more reliable. I’m thankful for this decision because it meant less time tracking the ball paths in Premiere. If you’re curious how I achieved this effect, I moved a mask to cover every single movement of every ball’s path by hand. Repeating and overlapping multiple layers became very complicated because the balls would cross paths. Once I learned tracks could be nested together I became more organized', as it happens we have featured DoodleChaos before on the blog, I still can not imagine how someone worked out when and how to let each ball go, but there it is.


No comments: