Thursday 28 November 2019

I Have Seen Many Items,

made from LEGO bricks,


 but this is a first for myself, a LEGO guitar, admittedly it is held together by epoxy, but it still looks kind of neat, 

 the instrument was made by Mike Clifford and used a Les Paul design in vector file format in Fusion 360, a 3D design program, to develop the shape. Then, after building a mold, he poured epoxy over the bricks, 

Clifford describes the process at Core77:
'The most challenging part of this guitar build was creating a solid guitar blank from the Legos and epoxy. I put the Lego bricks on a backplate in a pixelated elliptical pattern. I then put the Legos face down into a partially cured layer of epoxy, then poured more epoxy to halfway cover the Legos. After this epoxy cured, I could remove the backplate that was holding the Legos together, pour more epoxy resin over them to fill in the backs of the Legos. While the epoxy was still fluid, I added a second layer of Legos, and finally came back to fill in the entire form with resin. After I had the epoxy Lego guitar blank, I could just use standard woodworking processes for guitar building, to shape the guitar from the epoxy Lego blank'.
no news as to how it plays or sounds, but I can see no reason why it should not work.


No comments: