Thursday 31 December 2009

Do Not Mess With Fish 84,

and you thought fish were fun!

'Japanese researchers have succeeded in producing goldfish whose beating hearts can be seen through translucent scales and skin', er, no, the fish pictured above in the article have been available in the aquatic trade for as long back as I can remember, one of the claims is that the fish has translucent scales, this has been documented for years, just ask any fish keepers you know what is the difference is between a goldfish and a shubunkin? the answer is that a goldfish with translucent scales is called a shubunkin, been around for years, a very old story indeed,

but I suspect the fish pictured in the article is not the same fish that the researchers have produced, it is just a stock picture of a fan tailed calico shubunkin, it is a pity that the writer did not go to the trouble to check for a picture of the fish or write a disclaimer that this is not the same fish he was making the article about, very fishy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stan

You seem to know alot about fish, were you in the trade? before retiring to Pattaya.

Daryle

PattayaStan said...

Dear Daryle, short answer, yes, long answer, I started keeping tropical fish when I was about 8 years old, at 12 years old my father had converted the garden shed into a fish 'house' fully lagged with fiberglass to keep the heat in, then I started work at 13 years old as a 'Saturday' boy in local tropical fish shop, I then worked there full time and eventually became the owner of the business, so I know a little about fish, retailing, marketing and management, also I have produced 10 or so V.H.S. tapes about marine fish and 4 one hour long DVD's which we sell in the shop about Discus, the Singapore tropical fish and equipment trade show and my travels in India looking for new fish for the aquatic trade, but now I have retired, so I just keep a few fish as a hobby, best regards, Stan and Diana.