Wednesday 5 June 2019

I Am Making This Post In Response,

to a question asked by Jil,


 he asked about a property in the park that appeared to be abandoned, well there are 3 that fall into that category, first the Mansion, Beckenham Place Park, this is a picture I took of the front of it, it was for some time not used, 

and the side of it, but has now been taken over by Lewisham council and made in to a natural resources center and in the summer holds weekly events, 

the second is this building, now abandoned it brings back many memories, it was the Foxgrove Club, both Steve and myself were members, but despite our best efforts membership fell and the club several years ago closed, now here is a thing, councils are crying out for property, yet this one has been left to rot, it is a big building, on one of the band nights there would be a 10 or 12 piece band playing to an audience of over 60 or more members, it beggars belief that Lewisham council could not convert it it 3 or 4 very large apartments, rather than letting it rot over the past several years, but then I suppose Lewisham council must have a surfeit of council housing, 

the third is this grand building North Dene, again just left abandoned and has been for many years, I heard a rumour that the asking price was £3,000,000,  


but no takers, I am guessing that planning permission to make it into flats or pull it down and start again was not forthcoming, but you know councils, they always know best! so I hope that answers your question, I put it here as I do not know how to put pictures on the comments page.


2 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

Thanks! Yes... it was the third one I had noticed. I was not aware of the other two. It is surprising that in one of the best and most expensive real estate markets on earth, there would be residential buildings of that sort sitting abandoned. I guess that council rules need to get with the times if they are so restrictive that they force buildings like that to remain unsold.

Unknown said...

sadly this wonderful building, North Dene, went up in flames today 2 June 2021. Why did Bromley council reject all of the planning applications leaving this wonderful home to decay