Sunday 28 July 2019

Going Through Family Photographs,

I came across these,


the shop as it was back in the early 1950s, at the time selling mainly pet accessories with just a small selection of live fish, after the mid to late 1950s the shop became more fish orientated and in 1963 I joined as a Saturday boy, in 1966 I went into the print industry but continued as a Saturday boy and went into the shop full time in 1971,

it was whilst at the shop I became friends with David Sands, a renowned expert on catfish, later to become Doctor David Sands, in his visit to the shop, he had kindly arranged to meet catfish keepers, which we advertised in the aquatic press, whilst there we had decided on a April Fool joke with Practical Fishkeeping magazine, we pretend to be looking for a saltwater Corydoras whilst looking in a saltwater aquarium, there is no such fish, but it fooled a few!

we were also featured in some of the local newspapers, the photographs above from the press photographer, David has written a number of books, one of the most notable, a series titled Catfish of the World, I must get back in touch, as an aside look, I have hair!


No comments: