Tuesday 16 July 2019

Whilst Writing The Blog,

every so often I hear a loud 'click',


 which comes from the marine aquarium at the end of my desk, it is quite common to find that the culprit is a mantis shrimp, that travels on, or inside a piece of rock or coral that has been purchased for the aquarium, 

but the thing is after a time it is usual to see it scurrying away in the aquarium, the one I keep hearing is noticeable by it's absence,

 then today I read about these little polychaete worms and the sound they made, with the sound going up to 157 decibels (which is more intense than a jet taking off), sounds around 130 decibels already are painful and damaging to the ears, the water I guess mutes the sound a little, but it can still heard well above the music I play in the mornings,

which begs two questions, firstly whilst the mantis shrimp uses the sound to kill prey why has this worm develop such a loud sound? secondly the aquatic trade does not import a large range of items for marine aquariums from Japan, where the worm is found, so how he did one arrived in our aquarium, or perhaps their range is bigger than at first thought? it just did it again!


No comments: