Thursday 1 September 2022

Is This A New Style Of Tattoo?

using a black backgrounds,


that have floral designs along with butterflies and birds appearing through the dense black,

they are the work of Chicago-based tattoo artist Esther Garcia,

Garcia, has twenty years of experience as a tattoo artist, and is known for her lush botanical designs and her artistic project-based approach to tattooing,

as it happens this approach of having a black background has a added benefit,

not only are they different,

they are a way of covering up old unwanted tattoos,

it might have seemed a good idea at the time to have your loved ones named tattooed on you, but chances are your new beau will not be amused,

“I found it meditative and very enjoyable to make a smooth saturated surface where there was chaos before, but pretty soon I was looking for ways to make it a bit more ornamental,” Garcia explains. “I am very influenced by Dutch master paintings of lush florals and fruit, and I love the depth and richness that a dark background offers. It turns out to be a great way to evoke delicacy in a tattoo, and doesn’t need to involve cover ups at all.”

in addition to continuing her tattoo practice, Garcia is also working on a textile and commercial design collaboration with Chicago designer Kyle Letendre,

You can see more of Garcia’s tattoos on Instagram, and see what upcoming projects she has available on her website, as I have mentioned before, I think I am a tad too old for Tattoos, and I have to say I am not really keen on them, but there it is.


No comments: