Sunday 14 June 2009

There's Gold In Them Thare Hills!

the last Scottish gold rush was in 1869, it lasted for three years, and in recession hit Britain more and more people are taking up panning to make a living, demand for courses in gold‑panning has more than trebled in the past year, they are run by the nation’s only full-time prospector Vince Thurkettle, seven times winner of the British Gold-panning Championships, “Britain is rich with gold and the price has more than doubled since I left work with the Forestry Commission four years ago, finding gold here is very easy but finding a lot is much harder.” Vince, 54, of Norfolk, who has panned for 32 years, advises heading for Scotland or Wales whose gold “has a huge premium because of the Royal Family’s preference for it”, I wonder if I could pan a little gold when I go back to the UK next month? off I go on the trail of the lonesome pine!

No comments: