Friday 18 September 2009

This Must Be A Wind Up!

or perhaps it is not? for 216 years, generations of wardens have climbed 8ft up a ladder three times a week to wind the clock in the tower at St Michael's in Helston, Cornwall, they have been keeping it going since 1793, but along come health and safety, it is no longer safe, the current "captain of the tower" Roger Nott, 63, has held the role for three years, said: "There's never been a problem before, I take six or seven steps up the ladder, I'm not bothered about the height - I'm used to it, My predecessor retired when he was 82 and he managed it fine, I'd like to think I've got another 15 years left in me," he added: "It's part of the history of the town. It's been going so long." well history and the new Britain do not go hand in glove, I just hope the health and safety will not crack down on Helston's Flora Day next May in case somebody falls down!

No comments: