Tuesday 16 April 2013

A Couple Of Days Ago,

Ionia District Judge Raymond Voet,

had to fine himself for breaking one of his own rules, Voet, who has a strict no-phone policy and has had signs posted outside his courtroom that tells violators they face losing their device and a $25 fine if it goes off, realised he's not above the law when he was hoisted by own petard as his phone sounded on Friday, April 13, as a prosecutor gave closing arguments in a domestic violence trial, there wasn’t much he could say, 'I got very embarrassed and I’m sure my face turned red,' said Voet, recalling the disruption, 'I thought it would never happen to me',

but give the judge, pictured above, a bit of credit, he slapped his own wrist, once the hearing went into recess, the judge held himself in contempt of court and walked downstairs to pay the $25 fine he imposes on anyone else, over the years, the judge has taken phones away from police officers, attorneys, witnesses, people sitting in the gallery and even personal friends, suddenly, the ball had fallen in his court, I guess this could be a case of be careful what you wish for.

No comments: