Friday 12 April 2013

I Really Had To Have A Double Take,

when I saw these,


 well it was first thing in the morning and my eyes had not woken up yet!

they look so real, but all are the work of artist Keng Lye based in Singapore he creates near life-like sculptures of animals relying on little but paint, resin and a phenomenal sense of perspective, Lye slowly fills bowls, buckets, and boxes with alternating layers of acrylic paint and resin, creating aquatic animal life that looks so real it could almost pass for a photograph,

he comments, 'I started my first series in 2012 where all the illustrations were “flat” and depth was created using the layering of resin and acrylic over the different parts of the illustration, this year, I started on the octopus and it was purely an experiment; I just wanted to see whether I could push this technique to a higher level, after applying acrylic paint straight onto the resin, I incorporated a 3-D element in this instance, it was a small pebble for the octopus', the technique really seems to work as the subject seems to rise from the water, for us they look absolutely life like, what a talent Lye has.

No comments: