Tuesday 12 December 2023

During The Day I Did A Bit Of Printing For The Shop,

in the afternoon a call from Diana,


we had arraigned to meet in Bromley, and she would call as she left work, out into a bright day,

blue skies with white fluffy clouds,

I walked past the Christmas tree store on the green, not yet open, on to the 227 bus, 

and off at Market Square in Bromley, and pass The Partridge, 

and the side of Primark, 

I arrived before Diana and had a look around town for a pair of tan brogues, 

plenty to choose from, but I just could not bring myself to pay £80+ for a pair of everyday shoes, I passed the Christmas tree, 

where I waited for Diana to catch me up, we tried all of the usual stores, but they were as far as I was concerned so expensive, so we retraced our steps,

past the funfair,

where everyone was a winner,

and the rides,

the helter skelter not doing much business, then into Lidl, their store had closed in Beckenham so I had to go to Bromley for my sherry and spiced rum, on the way back to the bus stop,

I called in to wish this gentleman and his partner a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, as we bought a kilo of chestnuts,

we had just missed a 354, so a coffee it was, 

and a snack for Diana, arriving home and after our evening meal we watched the usual BattleBots and a Endeavour, 

which we followed with The Great Stink of 1858, a documentary about how way back in 1858 the River Thames because of record high summer time temperatures, one day over 96 °F (33°C), and the fact that raw sewerage, and pollutants from all manner of factories had caused the river to smell so much it was a danger to public health, a very informative program, the highlight was a visit to one of the great pumping stations installed by Joseph Bazalgettethe chief engineer of the huge project to install sewers under the city of London and surrounding area, 

way back in April 2019 we visited the site of one of the two pumping stations, this one at Crossness, with its grand Central Hall,

and its 4 huge steam powered beam engines, as an aside to give you an idea of how big the project was, he construct a network of 82 miles (132 km) of main sewers to intercept sewage outflows, and 1,100 miles (1,800 km) of street sewers, after which as Diana was tired, she was off to bed, for myself a off beat comedy,

Norbit, great fun with Eddie Murphy playing so many roles, much of the humour would not translate if spoken by a white person, as some ethnics would find the humour offensive, but as the lines are delivered by a black person or Chinaman, they were just so funny, (and true), after which I too was off to bed.


No comments: