Wednesday 6 December 2023

I Am All Up To Date,

here is Tuesdays post, 


and if you would like to see our day out in London on Monday just scroll down at the end of this post, back to Tuesday, it was a cold wet day,

as I made my way to visit Duncan, inside the bus it was difficult to take photographs, it was lightly raining outside, 

and inside the windows had so much condensation on them,

the sky had not improved, I think the rain has set in for the day,

as well as the condensation! I was making good time, until Catford bus station, a change of drivers, the minutes ticked by, I just hopped I would not miss the train at Blackheath, 

the florists had only just begun bringing their trays of plants outside,

just these so far, 

a look across to the up line,

luckily I did not miss the train, I arrived at Dartford, but the Gravesend train I normally see departing was not there, great news for me, it was late! a few minutes later and I was on my way,

arriving in Gravesend the rain had turned to a fine drizzle, 

off of the bus and up the hill,

to the nursing home, where Duncan was in fine spirits, we chatted away and whilst there Rainham Steve telephoned to say he would pop down next week so we could both visit Duncan, as it happens there was television programme about the film career of Jeff Goldblum, it was great fun as we both tried to guess what the film clip was from before the name of the film was announced, but it was a surprise for both of us that a appearance he made in Death Wish (1974), was not mentioned, when Duncan's lunch arrived we said our farewells and I reminded Duncan that hopefully there will be no more rail strikes this month so Rainham Steve and myself will both see him next Wednesday,

I passed the now almost bare silver birches on the way to the bus stop,

more clouds were rolling in,

at Blackheath Village the florists now had all of the display outside, lots of sprouting bulbs for Christmas,

and bunched flowers, I was soon on the number 54 bus, which was originally going to Elmers End, but yes you guessed it, my luck, the bus got as far as Catford garage, and then it was all off, 

above the 54 bus I was on and passengers alighted from, over the road another number 54 also stopped with its hazard lights on, also empty, the passengers queueing as we were for the next number 54, what is it with the number 54 bus service?  

I passed one of the bee gardens on top of a bus shelter, this one the most successful of them all, most had lost the plants in the long hot summer,

I took a photograph of the Christmas tree in Foxgrove Lodge, although difficult to see the lights now on, Diana was on late shift today, so after a quiz show it was time for my evening meal, next it was feet up for a BattleBots, which had returned, then a film I had wanted to watch for some time,

Young Winston, a film based on the early life of of the future British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill, which I thoroughly enjoyed, even more so as it really was based on his early life, I followed that with an old favourite, 


this picture and many more on-set photos and a documentary on the making of Dr. Strangelove can be seen here, as an aside I have mentioned before for me Slim Pickens steals the show, who in real life was bareback bronco rider; saddle bronco rider; rodeo clown and bullfighter, that was not of course his real name but as a piece of trivia before becoming an actor, Slim was riding on the rodeo circuit, someone told him that he should take up another line of work because all he would ever get in the rodeo was "Slim Pickin's," his real name was Louis Bert Lindley Jr. near the end of the film Diana arrived home from work, so a coffee from her advent coffee calendar and a chat, I am only making these two posts today, as the next one took forever! next we were off to bed.


2 comments:

jpo5626 said...

Dear Stanley and Diana
Funny you mentioned Slim Pickens! In 1976 I was visiting my sister in El Paso TX. We went to her golf club to play a round, and guess who was there? Slim was bigger in life than on film and so funny and friendly! I grew up watching all the cheaply produced Western Movies where the bad guys wore black hats and the good guys white. In many of the films, Slim was a support actor to main character. Anyway, we had a good visit that day and I was able to tell him how much I enjoyed the old movies growing up. My sister took our picture together and if I ever run across it in the house will send you a copy.
Slim’s voice in real life just as scrappy and scratchy as the movies! Fun memories-thanks!
Best Regards
John and Alley

PattayaStan said...

Dear John and Alley, it is so nice to hear that someone that appears in films is as nice in real life, over the years I have meet a few 'stars' some were just so open and friendly, in films Justin Long, in pop Francis Rossi, in television Ronnie Corbet, all so nice to meet, others who I will not name were just terrible, in every way you can imagine, but it must have been a pleasure to meet Slim and find him so friendly, best regards, Stan and Diana.