Friday, 29 October 2010

Now This Is Just Too Silly For Words,

Alex Crossland-Robins, is a 10-year-old swimming champion who has won more than 50 medals and trophies, was told he could not wear goggles under health and safety guidelines, the move came despite a sign in the swimming baths which reads: "Goggles and swim caps are always a good idea to protect your eyes and hair from chlorine," but of course there are exceptions, coalition-run Oldham Council in Greater Manchester has guidelines that state only competent swimmers can wear goggles – and only then at the discretion of the swimming teacher, result, Alex's parents Angela Crossland and David Robins, 52, a local business specialist, have stopped their son from attending the swimming lessons with St Anne's Primary School in Royton, Oldham until the issue is resolved, Miss Crossland, 43, said, "At first they said it was a health and safety issue, yet there's a massive sign in the baths saying for health and safety wear your goggles to protect your eyes from the chlorine, I don't think they realised that sign was there, obviously Mr. Common Sense was out to play when then the council decided on it guidelines and had the sign put up,
another from killjoys, apple bobbing guidelines, when will people learn that life is not risk free? that is what adds to our make up, so if you go apple bobbing at Halloween remember, follow the guide lines, Parwez Hossain, a consultant ophthalmologist at Southampton General Hospital, said that every year his department treats problems picked up by people playing the game,
these include scratches, infections and other eye injuries caused by hitting an apple at force when dunking heads into the water, Mr Hossain said there was also the possibility of people contracting potentially serious corneal infections from dirty water or residue of liquids if the bowls used were not cleaned properly, apple bobbing is thought to have originated in Celtic times when the Romans conquered Britain, the ubiquitous apple, representing love and fertility, became part of the Celtic Samhain festival, but worse is to come! Mr Hossain said that other Halloween favourites like lanterns, night flares and glow sticks are also often the cause of avoidable accidents, He said: “They may seem like innocuous objects, but we have seen people turning up with nasty corneal abrasions where they have caught the edge of a lantern on Halloween or with mild ocular irritation after breaking glow sticks or night flares and suffering the effects of contents splashing into the eye,”
so I guess using both hands to hold the kids heads under water to help them get an apple is a bit of a no-no as well, now if only there were guide lines about how to tie a shoe lance, I do not want to hear about someone being strangled to death trying to tie one!

No comments: