Monday 18 October 2010

I Have Mentioned Before That I Collect Stamps,

well these are well worth collecting, if you can afford them, they show film star Audrey Hepburn smoking, the German Postal Service printed 14 million of the stamps in 2001 depicting the actress as Holly Golightly in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's, they show Hepburn with a long, black cigarette holder hanging from her lips, but her son refused to grant copyright, saying the image had been altered, and all but a few sheets were destroyed, the son, Sean Ferrer, agreed to auction a sheet in his possession for charity, two sheets were spared, one for the Postal Service Archives and one for the German Post Museum, however two additional sheets of stamps disappeared, during the last six years, five of the missing stamps were sold at auction for between 62,500 and 173,000 euros by stamp appraiser Andreas Schlegel, but back to the rare block of 10 stamps in the story, they went for 430,000 euros (£380,000) at a charity auction in Berlin, now if only I could find the rest of the missing two sheets!
as an aside this block of 4 stamps, 5/- 1967 red castles, unmounted mint, was a item I bought for my collection on E-Bay last night, a slightly more affordable £1.06 plus .75p postage to my UK address.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I truly love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme. Did you create this web site yourself?
Please reply back as I'm hoping to create my own website and want to learn where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Cheers!
Have a look at my webpage middle