Saturday 28 July 2018

I Have Often Heard Of,

impressionist painters,


 but not an impressionist photographer,

 until now, 

 Samuel Zeller began photographing greenhouses in 2015 after making a spontaneous trip to the Jardin d’hiver on his way home from work in Geneva, Switzerland, 

He was instantly fascinated by the blurred quality of the botanical specimens when gently pressed against the rippled glass, and began documenting this effect in greenhouses across Europe,

 “What I’m doing right now is very much influenced by my past,” 

   “I’ve always enjoyed going to museums, and I developed an attraction for painting, specifically Impressionist ones. In ‘Botanical’ I tried to re-create this painterly feeling by capturing a refracted reality.”

 You can see more of his plant photography on his Instagram and Behance

His collection of images from the last three years have recently been compiled into the book Botanical, published by Hoxton Mini Press, and no I am not on commision, it just amazes me the number of times I have walked past a greenhouse and never thought to take a photograph at plants through the glass.


No comments: