Friday 11 June 2010

Next Morning It Was On The Buses To Greenwich,

there is a covered market that I had wanted to have a rummage through,
it is in the middle of the square opposite,
there is some thing about Greenwich that I have always liked, maybe because my Grandmother would often bring me here as nipper, it has a few small 'lanes' leading into the center of the square,
and a large entrance,
now at the back of the square,
looking towards the gates of what was the Dreadnought Seaman's Hospital for Sailors, ah, the memories! further on and to the right the Maritime museum, designed by Indigo Jones,
a closer view of the gates, there is so much to see here, if you are energetic a walk to the top of the hill will bring you to the Royal Observatory, also of note inside you can see Harrison's H1, H2 H3 and H4, the first man to crack the problem of finding an answer to the Longitude problem,
like most towns on rivers, there are plenty of pubs in the area,
one every where you look,
but what a disaster here, the hull of the Cutty Sark devastated after a fire in May 2008, but restoration work is under way,
not long to arrive at the market now,
then as I crossed the road to go to the market a spicy elephant,
but wait! not a stall in sight, I had forgotten it is primarily a weekend market!
this is what I need,
no not an elephant, just a memory like one!
it was strange to see a shop here selling elephants made in Thailand sending the profits to look after abandoned elephants in Thailand,
this is what I must remember for next year,
back out along the street looking towards the Church which is being renovated,
just opposite is one of the Nautica shops,
they sell lots of things that you dearly want to have,
but could quite easily do with out, like toy boats,
in different sizes,
and Galileo thermometers, never had one, but they look so cool you almost have to have one, like Stephen King's Needful Things, strange thing is I enjoyed the book so much I have the DVD of the book on order,
of course there are bigger toys there as well,
I love walking through these little alleyways,
there are so many different small stores and cafes here,
but not along this one!
Steve by now had caught up with me so a quick one in the The Coach and Horses, before continuing our visit to Greenwich.

No comments: