Monday 29 July 2013

One Man, 100,000 Toothpicks,

an incredible kinetic sculpture of San Francisco,
 
 
Rolling through the Bay is a sculpture by artist Scott Weaver, the elaborate sculpture is comprised of multiple 'tours' that move ping pong balls through neighbourhoods, historical locations, and iconic symbols of San Francisco, all recreated with a little glue, some toothpicks, and an incredible amount of ingenuity not to mention the 35 years it took to make it,

he estimates he’s spent over 3,000 hours on the project, and the toothpicks have been sourced from around the world commenting 'I have used different brands of toothpicks depending on what I am building. I also have many friends and family members that collect toothpicks in their travels for me, for example, some of the trees in Golden Gate Park are made from toothpicks from Kenya, Morocco, Spain, West Germany and Italy, the heart inside the Palace of Fine Arts is made out of toothpicks people threw at our wedding', you have to admirer the work and patience that has gone in to this totally unique art work.

2 comments:

elliot said...

He's a man with way too much free time on his hands. Bret

PattayaStan said...

Dear Bret I guess it is the same with any hobby, look at me and my stamps! best regards, Stan and Diana.