Thursday 7 January 2010

I Just Love This Story From So Many Angles,

it all started 50 or so years ago, Martyn Jarman and the 1934 classic car he was given for his 21st birthday were forced apart when he had to raise money for his wedding, but Mr Jarman, now 72, and the rare open-top British Salmson he sold in 1961, have been reunited, the colour has changed and the car cost 500 times the £20 his father paid for it in 1958, but a delighted Mr Jarman said of the car: ‘She’s fantastic, I can’t believe I’ve got her back', the story begins when Mr Jarman fell in love with the 1466cc hand-made machine after seeing it in a car park near his childhood home in Godalming, Surrey, ‘It had been abandoned there for about a year,’ he said, ‘I mentioned it to my dad who told me not to worry about old cars, but he then went and tracked down the owner and gave it to me, I was lost for words,' a few years later he sold the car to help towards getting married, fast forward 50 years, He discovered it was back on sale in the British Salmson Owners’ Club newsletter and paid £10,500 for it, it has just 29,314 miles on the clock, I just love stories like this one, VGP 750 where are you now?

No comments: