Monday 20 August 2012

I Mentioned That I Listen To Old Radio Shows,

one in particular I enjoy is hosted by its namesake Kenneth Horne,


the show is called Round the Horne, each actor plays various roles, but the two most popular always seemed to be

Julian and Sandy, played by Hugh Paddick and Kenneth Williams respectively, both were in the show playing a couple of camp out-of-work actors, at the time of the shows male homosexuality was illegal in the UK, laws meant that any male homosexual could be arrested by the police, this led to the development of a secret language so that gay men could converse without being understood in front of straight members of the community similar to Cockney rhyming slang, the language was called Polari, it was widely used by the British gay community from the 1900s to the 1970s, it meant that there was a show within a show in which the producers of it the BBC did not know what they were broadcasting! but back to the show, Lipharvest Of The River, is a typical show of the era, if you listen to it I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, it will take a a few moments to download if your Internet connection is a slow as mine, but remember these shows were made a long time before we all became PC which I guess is why I find them so funny!

No comments: