Sunday 26 August 2012

It Was Another Day That We Found nothing

interesting, amusing or just plain weird in the news,


 so straight on to today's post, first thing to the market,

 for some fresh fruit, also Diana wanted some things on sticks,

now that we have the amplifier/receiver back I decided to spend some time on fine tuning both the sound and picture on our system, so I started with a fairly new BluRay to play with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, in his sixth year at Hogwarts and in both wizard and muggle worlds Lord Voldemort and his henchmen are increasingly active, with vacancies to fill at Hogwarts, Professor Dumbledore persuades Horace Slughorn, back from retirement to become the potions teacher, special effects abound, but more importantly I was playing with the on screen menus for both the sound and television, stopping every now and then to make adjustments,

the problem is I am a compulsive button pusher, every time I see there is a button, dial or knob I just have to push, turn or pull it, but I look at it like this, how would I know what it did if I did not try it? so from the settings that I am watching at the present I push everything to the maximum, then I know what that button will do, next go back and adjust the setting down to what I think is nice, then start on the next, I used this approach whilst watching Hugo,


we had watched it before and this is what I wrote then, 'the cover says 'A Magical Masterpiece' and it is, the sets and camera work left all of us spellbound, the story follows the adventures of Hugo, an orphan who learns how to repair clocks and lives in the railway station, but he has a connection with a shopkeeper there who sells toys, Georges Méliès, it is difficult not to give the plot away, but it was a marvellous film, also before you dismiss this as a kids film this was Martin Scorsese's first PG rated film in 18 years, as another aside if you do buy/rent/borrow this film be sure to watch the 'extras' the true story behind Georges Méliès who is a central character in the film is fascinating', I have to say I was impressed with what a couple of hours spent playing with the television and sound system made,

Diana said she wanted to watch some more of Last Chance to See, at the beginning of each episode there is the same beginning if you see what I mean, views over mountains and forest with the narrator going over the overview of the series, the difference was so marked after I had made a number of adjustments, absolutely so much better, all of the speakers gave us a sound of being there with animal cries and music coming from all sides and the picture has to be seen to be believed, so much better for us than the factory settings, back to the DVD, we watched the episodes with the Aye-aye and the Komodo dragon, I have fond memories of reading about Komodo dragons, I mentioned before in a previous post some time ago about David Attenborough,


'the first recollection I have of watching television was of him making a black and white film back in 1956 called Zoo Quest For A Dragon, I was spell bound, also as an aside the first Christmas present I remember receiving was the book of the same title, I can still remember it's cover now, the team was looking for Komodo dragons, from the island of that name, they are the worlds largest growing living lizard with an extremely poisonous bite', yes it has been found its bite is poisonous, as well as having bacteria laden saliva,

we rounded the evening off with Waking the Dead, Pieta, a man who assaulted a police officer and ran off is found to have the same DNA as a suspect wanted for the murder of a mother and son whose corpses Eve unearthed working as a volunteer in the wake of the Bosnian war, the hunt is on, then for us we were off to bed.

No comments: