Wednesday 21 September 2016

I Sort Of Dropped The Ball,

on this one,


 when I first looked at this, I thought it was a gentleman's shaving set,

 it was the brush that fooled me, because it is actually a tea whisk,

what I was looking at was Japanese architect Kengo Kuma, who in conjunction with Danish silverware and jewellery heritage brand Georg Jensen under the new leadership of David Chu produced this lavish Japanese tea set called Kusa – grass, in Japanese – made from silver, intended to be used for the sado tea ceremony, the set consists of a cha-ire (tea cady), chasen (whisk), chashaku (tea scoop) and chawan (tea bowl), as well as a tray, the chawan and cha-ire are made with a reflective mirror finish on the inside and a contrasting oxidized surface on the outside, in addition, the outside surface of the pieces are decorated with latticework of silver, only 11 editions were made and are being sold only through select retailers, strangely enough everything the tea ceremony is supposed to be about can be summed up in four words, modesty and rustic simplicity, so at £60,500 (at today's rate US $78,000) I will stick to tea bags!


No comments: