Tuesday 1 August 2023

The More I Think About,

the more sure I am that as a kid in the early 1950s,


all images © Pi Cheng Hsiu, there was an elephant slide,

 
like one of these,

in the local playground at Plumstead, now banned because of health and safty in the UK it appear the same is happening where these photographs were taken, in Taiwan, being unsafe they are slowly disappearing, the above the regulation grey like the one I remember, 

but in some parks, the local artist has been let loose on them,

some with quiet pleasing results,

whilst others are psychedelic,

this one almost camouflaged looking like a wall of bricks,

I have to say this is my favourite,

photographs Pi Cheng Hsiu, who has travelled the country documenting the scattered herd's appearance before they all disappear, Pi has also generated an interactive map featuring all of the locations documented so far, and you can explore more on Instagram, it seems almost a shame that kids can no longer enjoy the rough and tumble of games and growing up, but there it is, the youngsters must be molly coddled nowadays I guess, but what a coulourful portfolio of elephants.


No comments: