Saturday 12 September 2009

I Know As Does Any One Living In Great Britain,

if you produce to much waste you are finned, but how about being finned if you produce no waste? well that is what has happened to Mark Howard, he runs Sutton Road Cycles in Southend, the fools that make up Southend Council refuses to believe that he recycles (there is a pun in there somewhere) or sells for scrap all of his waste, the dispute centres around a certificate issued by council waste contractors Cory when businesses pay them £80 to supply 50 commercial waste bags, which can be collected when full, it all started after he received a letter from Southend Council asking how he disposed of waste, when he rang up to explain, no one believed that he did not use the service and he was told that someone would visit his premises, 'An officer came round a week later but he didn't look round or ask any questions,' he said. 'He just handed me another letter which said I must pay a fixed penalty, 'They didn't give me a chance to show them what I do - which is better than the council contractor's service because their waste goes to landfill' he added: 'Despite repeated calls I was fobbed off all the time, I have tried to get an interview with the director of the department but nothing has happened, this is totally stupid, the council must have money to burn because they want this case to go to court, on the other side of the coin, Southend Council yesterday defended its actions, Simon Crowther, group manager for waste, said: 'Mr Howard is required under the Environmental (Duty of Care) Regulations 1991 to produce evidence as to how he legally and lawfully disposes of commercial waste under his control, 'Mr Howard has been issued with a fixed-penalty fine due to the fact he failed to provide this evidence.' oh how I would love to be a judge if this case came before me, Simon Crowther, you are going down - hard!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stan,
First class blog, as ever. Seems like you had a great time in Bangkok.

I recently heard of a place in Pattaya called Koh Larn island.

Although I have been visiting Pattaya for ten years now, I am ashamed to say that I have never visited the place or even heard of it.

I've been told you can get to Koh Larn by a ferry from the harbour at the bottom of walking street.

Have you ever been there, Stan?

PattayaStan said...

Dear Anonymous, sorry to have taken so long to reply, Koh Larn is the big island just of Pattaya, you can get a ferry from Bali Hai pier, it is about 50 baht each way, or you can hire a speed boat just for yourselves, I am guessing about 2,500 - 3,000 for the day, the advantage of this is that it is fast and you should go to a more secluded beach, but take your own food and drink, (lots of water) and remember a umbrella or two, if you look at the opening picture on our blog of the beach with the red longtail boat on it, from memory that was on the far side of Koh Larn, taken by me in 1982/3, but now the beach is a jungle of concrete restaurants, I have not been on the islands for a number of years, I may take Diana, but the problem is she does not like being in the sun, which makes going to a tropical beach a bit of a none starter! best regards, Stan and Diana.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, Stan.

I'll have to give it a try next time I am in Pattaya.