Tuesday 15 September 2009

In My Previous Post I Mentioned Planes,

well now trains, as you may know I am building a train set upstairs, but have a look at this railroad goods yard, above is just the engine shed, it is the biggest goods yard in the world, and is called the Bailey Yard situated in North Platte, Nebraska, owned by Union Pacific, now try to imagine this, If the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers were to play here, they'd have enough room for 2,800 football fields, this massive yard covers 2,850 acres, the yard was named in honor of former Union Pacific President Edd H. Bailey, every 24 hours, Bailey Yard handles 10,000 railroad cars, of those, 3,000 are sorted daily in the yard's eastward and westward yards, nicknamed "hump" yards, using a mound cresting 34 feet for eastbound trains and 20.1 feet for those heading west, these two hump yards allow four cars a minute to roll gently into any of 114 "bowl" tracks, and I thought I had problems building my railway set!

No comments: