Friday 12 March 2010

Now I Can Not Say I Do Not Like The Odd Drink,

but whisky has never been my favorite, so it will come as no surprise when I say I will not be buying this £10,000 bottle of it, well not to drink, but I wonder how good an investment it would make? the Mortlach 70-year-old Speyside went on sale today, only 54 full-size bottles, costing £10,000 each, and 162 smaller bottles at £2,500 have been made available, the whisky has been released under Gordon and MacPhail's Generations brand, it was filled into its cask on October 15 1938 on the order of John Urquhart, the grandfather of the firm's joint managing directors, David and Michael Urquhart, exactly 70 years later, the decision was made to empty the cask and bottle its contents, the rare whisky was matured in a former sherry cask made from Spanish oak, it has been bottled in a teardrop-shaped hand-blown crystal decanter with a silver stopper, whisky writer Charles MacLean described the dram as 'delicate, fresh, vital and fruity', with hints of waxiness and smokiness, I always remember when we had a fishing holiday to Scotland, whisky drinker my dad once said to me, 'Stan there is no such thing as a bad whisky, it is just that some taste better than others!'

No comments: