Wednesday 12 January 2011

'Thunderbirds Are Go!'

came the cry from the television in the early 1960's as the show took to the air, I remember the series well, so do many others it appears as the Royal Mail has just issued a set of stamps to commemorate the series, Thunderbirds was a story of an International Rescue organisation, an elite, high-tech rescue squad headed up by multi-billionaire former astronaut Jeff Tracy, and headquartered at his private island somewhere in the south Pacific, summoned by radio set to any frequency, it is the last, best hope for those who cannot be rescued by any other means, this unit is staffed by Jeff's five sons: Scott, Virgil, John, Gordon and Alan, each of whom has their own specific vessel to man, enjoyable fun,
on to my stamp collection here are a couple of my latest finds, first a 1924 British Empire Exhibition stamp featuring Lloyd's Bank, it is the green version, I also have the blue and red, I have tried to find out more about them but so far with little success, the price of this piece of Lloyd's history? £2.45,
then to a really old set, if 1924 is a bit young for you, this is a full mounted set of Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee stamps, strangely enough so far I have not found out where there were printed, they are not as far as I know Harrison, De La Rue or Perkins Bacon, so I am guessing they were printed abroad, when? 1897, well over 100 years old, for just £6.00, so in my spare time a couple of more little mystery's to be solved.

No comments: