Tuesday 12 November 2019

“It’s Black Like My Soul”

is the quote from Round K owner, Ockhyeon Byeon,


 to describe this, for myself, slightly off putting black coffee, he wanted to give it a more literal meaning, to him, black coffee was just a dark brown, so he started thinking of ways to make the popular drink actually black, at first, he used different types of activated charcoal, but then he settled on coconut ash, which not only gave the product its dark color, but a nutty flavor as well, and proved popular with not only Goths but the general public as well, photograph Round K,

located in New York’s Lower East Side, Round K started selling its now famous matte back latte since 2017, and even though the drink’s color was a bit unnerving to some, it soon became one of its most popular items. It’s made with over 90 percent Dutch process cacao, a double shot of espresso, coconut ash, almond milk and some ice. The finishing touch is a topping of “black whipped cream” made with coconut ash, marzipan and coconut cream, it still looks a bit weird for myself, but I guess as I like coffee so much I would, given the chance, give it a try.


No comments: