Sunday 15 May 2011

I Have Not Put Any Stamps On The Blog Lately,

so with The Sun newspaper having a special set of stamps featuring their ten top front pages from the first 40 years, I thought I would put a few of my latest bids that were successful on the blog, but first back to The Sun, the hope is that they will become highly-prized collectors' items after Royal Mail printed 3,000, it is the first time a British newspaper has been featured in a series of stamps, created by Royal Mail and The Sun for a one-time offer, each one is worth 46p and can be used on letters, since 2000, Royal Mail has been producing sets of custom-made stamps called "Smilers" which are personalised, so if you want a set of stamps with say your pet or favorite Aunt on them that can be used as normal UK postage stamps have a look here,
back to a few stamps that I have purchased over the last few months, firstly three sheetlets, souvenirs of the 1937 Coronation, 24 stamps in total for £7.60, a real bargain as I have seen some of these on E-Bay going for £3 - £4 each stamp, the thing that amazes me is where some of the stamps come from, these were for sale in India, I guess that might have put some bidders off due to the distance involved, but they arrived only a few days later than if I had bought them in the UK,
next a quiet rare charity stamp, over printed 1900, these were issued to raise money for, you guessed it charities, this one was £6.60 from the UK,
not so these 4 Lloyd's Bank stamps, printed as give aways for the British Empire Exhibitions 1924-1925, these came from the USA, £6.50 for the block of 4,
finally a block of 4 from 1928 printed for the London Stamp Exhibition, purchased from France, again £6.50 for the block of 4, will I buy the Sun smilers? I do not think so, with only 3,000 sets available by the time I read the article I am sure they will all have been sold already!

No comments: