Tuesday 26 July 2011

Happy Days,

here we come!
that was the name of the restaurant next to River Rovers, we decided on that one as we all wanted to thank Gordon for such a nice day on his boat, also to pick a brochure to put on our blog,
the sign says it all,
we were a bit early so the staff were still cleaning,
food was soon on the way,
Thai food for the girls,
chili con carne for me, I have forgotten what Jeff had,
we decided to call into the shell museum, but then decided against it,
we were not that far from Rawai where the shell handicraft stalls were also the seafood stalls would be open,
the sign speaks for itself,
the local fisherman's shrine,
not many at sea today, the wind was really getting strong,
no work today,
there are so many shells on display,
but I think most are imported,
on to live stock, bags of shells and seaweed, I have tried the seaweed (in the green bags), in the Philippines, the kindest I can say it that it is an acquired taste,
but the sea snails look nice, not only to eat but I am surprised I have never seen these for sale for marine aquariums,
so many things to try,
the tiger prawns looked so nice,
fresh vegetables are also on sale here, what happens is that you buy your seafood and vegetables on the sea side of the road then take them to the restaurants on the land side of the road where a cooking fee is charged for your meal,
a good selection of fish as well,
then Jeff got hooked, he felt the need for some seafood,
well who was I to dissuade him?
how does it go? eeny meeny miny moe, which one to chose,
a choice has been made for the fish and prawns,
and Jeff has chosen the restaurant,
so next choice how to cook what,
this is the cooking menu,
there are several pages, Da split the prawns in two so they were served in two different ways,
not very busy but it is low season,
whilst we waited Diana had a fresh coconut,
everything coming on nicely,
then I tried a bit of cooking, only to have reinforced what I already knew, kitchens are death traps for me, why did I lean my hand on the top of the grill after Diana took the picture?
the first plate of prawns arrived,
delicious,
then the fish,
when in Prechai seafood restaurant I have tried to do this, only to end up with a pile of mangled scales, skin, bones and meat, the lady here made skinning the fish look so simple,
there it is ready to eat, the meat just fell from the bones,
next the other half of the prawns, a great idea of Jeff's to stop off here,
all looks peacful in the bay but at sea things were getting a bit rouge with a strong wind blowing,
we had made our way along the coast and were climbing up to a view point,
we all had to stop on the way, it was quiet steep,
but we were rewarded with a nice view,
Diana taking a break,
also at the top there was a huge collection of horses and elephants,
with a central shrine,
and around it a honour guard of horses,
and elephants,
lots of them,
small ones on the outside,
larger ones in the middle and at the entrance,
time for me to have a sit down as well,
Diana looking as lovely as ever,
hair blowing in the wind,
looking down below us the waves were crashing against the rocks,
there is also a monument by the side of the elephant shrine,
I think it is for the navy but I am not sure,
meanwhile whislt I was busy snapping photos, Jeff had a lie down,
actually not so much of a lie down more like a good sleep, I guess he can not keep up with the pace,
difficult to see,
but the sea was definetly getting a bit lively,
we saw this on our way home a wind turbine I wonder if it will ever pay for itself, I would have thought out here solar would have been a better way to go, tonight we stayed with Jeff for the last time, we did not want to outstay our welcome! but many thanks to Jeff and Da for taking such good care of us.

No comments: