Friday 14 March 2014

Whilst Looking For Nothing In Particular,

I chanced upon this painting,


there is something about it that seems slightly sinister, the title of the painting reinforces that feel, 'The Irritating Gentleman', it is called, 

what to me is most haunting is the face of the girl seemingly looking straight at you, almost pleading for your help with a tear slowly failing, the artist was Berthold Woltze, a German painter (1829-1896), he studied at the Berlin Academy where in 1854 he received the major academic prize, this included a travelling scholarship, thus enabling him to further his studies in Rome and Paris, 


after his return he settled in Weimar and taught at the art school there, the artist was particularly noted for his finely executed portraits, as an aside this painting measuring 75 X 57 cm was sold for $43,737 in 2011, if only I had the money I would have bought it myself.


No comments: