Sunday 17 May 2020

I Am Getting Old,

my memory is starting to fail me,


yesterday I gave a Latin name to a sterlet that I had seen at Kingfisheries in Croydon Road, Beckenham, and my memory failed miserably! I named the chap above as Acipenser rutheneus, wrong! it is of course the much rarer Acipenser gueldenstaedtii, commonly known as the diamond surgeon, it is a good job that Graham reads the blog and checks my latin names, I think this is the first and hopefully last clanger I will drop regarding Latin names,

moving on, in the afternoon we watched, K-19: The Widowmaker, the submarine, K-19, was the first of the Project 658 class, the first generation of Soviet nuclear submarines equipped with nuclear ballistic missiles, specifically the R-13 SLBM, the boat was hastily built by the Soviets in response to United States' developments in nuclear submarines as part of the arms race, as articles and the film show it went disastrously wrong, a much underrated film, if you have time it is well worth watching, as an aside the submarine used in the film features in this article,

on to our evening meal,

pate, salad and toasted bread for our starter,

'Cheers!',

our main course was a Chinese chicken curry with rice,

I feel another 'Cheers!' coming on,

I followed that with a sake or three, yes I know sake is Japanese and we are eating Chinese, but it seemed appropriate,

for dessert a frosted Arctic roll with strawberries and cream,

diet starts next week! we listened to music for the rest of the evening, then as the midnight hour approached we were off to bed.


No comments: