Sunday 19 February 2023

A Totally Unexpected Day For Myself,

just after posting the blog and completing my exercises, I received a telephone call form Graham,


whilst working on his car he had injured his back, so much so that going into work was not a possibility, so could I come in to help for the day? no sooner said than done, I was out and on my way to the shop,

off of the number 54 bus at This 'N' That, I did not call in as Carl had already opened the shop,

so over the road and inside the shop,

I had a look around,

trying to familiarise myself with as many products as I could,

the easy ones,

were the plants and gravel, trying to remember which aquarium held which fish was not going to be so easy!

normally I am on the other side of the counter, but for today this is the view of the shop from the staff side of the counter that I will be seeing today, as it happens there were no problems, having said that I made a mucking fuddle of the PDQ machine, the thing you present your card to when paying, but luckily Carl was on hand, so everything went swimmingly well, at the end of the day Carl cashed up, set the burglar alarm and locked up, so it was home for myself stopping at Marks & Spencer's for a few bits and pieces,

walking home past the snail mail box it was just starting to get dark,

Diana was at work, so for myself it was a read and sherry, 

as it happens I finished the biography by Theodore Wood, titled The Rev. J. G. Wood: His Life And WorkTheodore was the Reverend's son, and what a power house of energy the Reverend truly was, I can not recommend this book highly enough, it was absolutely amazing the amount of work that the Reverend J. G. Wood completed in his lifetime,

so I made a start on the Labyrinths by Jorge Francisco Isidoro Luis Borges Acevedo, after 15 pages of preface and introduction I made a start on the first short story, Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius, which I did not finish as I was hungry,

I started with some mussels with vinegar, delicious!

which I followed with a M & S bought toad in the hole,

eyes down and tuck in! after my meal I settled down to watch a series I had seen before and really enjoyed,

 I, Claudius, a great BBC series from 1967, over 10 hours long in all, I watched it till late in the evening all of disc 1, I read some where that the incredible performance by Derek Jacobi as the stammering fool actually spilt over into his private life, it took several months after filming had finished for him to stop stammering, a trait he did not posses before filming started, I should say that now it looks very dated with sets that were vastly underfunded, but what a story as Clau-Clau, that many would mockingly call him, he recites his life history to you, the viewer, and what a history! from approximately the death of Marcellus (24/23 BC) to Claudius' own death in 54 AD, he shows what life at the top of society was like, the BBC mini series is based on a book of the same name by Robert Graves, if you have time watch it, but forget about over budgeted film sets, this is by comparison done on a shoe string, and is all the better for it, at nearly the end of the first disc Diana arrived home from work, so it was feet up for a coffee and a chat, then one from A Touch of Frost before we were off to bed.


No comments: