Friday 17 February 2023

One Of My Favourite Non Fiction Authors,

is the Revered J. G. Wood, 


I have mentioned him many times before and as it happens I am just about to finish reading about him in a book written by his son, Theodore Wood, titled The Rev. J. G. Wood: His Life And Work, and by sheer happenstance I noticed a first edition of his up for sale at Rooke Books

beautifully rebound, 

in a quarter calf binding, with colourfully marbled boards, edges and endpapers, 

titled The Illustrated Natural History,

and published in London by Routledge, Warne and Routledge,

it is a three volume popular first edition work of natural history by J. G. Wood, 

volume I deals with mammalia, volume II birds, and volume III reptiles, fish, molluscs etc. 

written by John George Wood (1827-1889), he was a English writer, natural historian and reverend. He was well known as a parson-naturalist, giving up his curacy to write works about natural history. He produced a number of popular works, such as 'Common Objects of the Seashore', 'Field Naturalist's Handbook', 'Insects Abroad' and 'Popular Natural History', what a magnificent set to own, as I mentioned this is a first edition, yours for £700, you can buy it here, as it happens I have 2 volumes of this book in my collection of his works,

not first editions I am afraid to say and missing volume III,

but for myself still nice to look through,

I keep them all upstairs in the man attic,

most of the top shelf are by J. G. Wood,

some rebound,

and some in their original bindings, 

three more here,

and another couple on another bookcase, would I like the first editions to add to my collection, you bet!


No comments: