Thursday 18 September 2008

Golly Gosh!

Arrested over tot's Golly toy, a stunned mum yesterday told how she was arrested after her young daughter stuck a Golly doll on their windowsill. Amanda Schofield, 39, was quizzed on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence after a neighbor complained. Last night she fumed: “I feel like a criminal. I can’t believe it.” Amanda, of Stockport, Greater Manchester, had removed the toy from the window as she put Eboni, six, to bed, but was visited by officers the same evening. She was asked to attend a police station and was not charged. A spokesman said: “It was the latest in a number of previous incidents that the victim perceived to be race-related.” The golly*** doll I first remembered was used by a UK company called 'James Robertson & Son's' who made jam and barley water soft drinks, the soft drink for many years was a favorite at Wimbledon. When you bought one of their products you would keep the label and when you had enough could send them in a get a badge to wear, it has become a big business with collectors of the badges all over the world, take a look at this site, http://www.golly1.co.uk/ some badges are $100 plus! me outside what was once Christopher's house, Well the point of all this is that where I have my flat in the UK Mr. and Mrs. Robinson lived opposite and their son Christopher owned the house that I had a flat in, in the stables (it was a huge Victorian house, stables, 120 foot greenhouse, cottage, fruit garden, etc.) there was a load of advertising materials including a round life preserver from their boat 'The Golly***" and lots of badges, artwork and in a case of "if only I had known" 35 years or so ago I would not have seen all of it sent to the dump.

front garden in winter.

3 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

I'm pretty sure that "golly***" is "golliwog". Is that a swear word or really vulgar or something in England? Is it just the "wog" part that is bad, or the whole thing?

PattayaStan said...

Dear Jil,
the term "wog" can no longer be used in the UK, it is a derogatory word for non whites, I guess the same as the "N" word, see you next week, best regards, Stan and Diana.

mike said...

I believe the term WOG stems from an old "politically correct" instruction to call Asians "worthy oriental gentlemen". Correct me if I am wrong!