Monday 13 May 2019

Back In My Youth,

the earliest recollection I have of an artist,


 is Salvador Dali, I have no idea why, it should I guess have been Picasso, or perhaps Victor Pasmore whose wild waving trees that he exhibited in the mid 1960s, I had with the schools art group visited, but it was Dail that I remembered first, our art master, Paul George, arranged trips to art museums over the school holidays, but I am sure I had heard of Dali before joining the group,

 but which of his works do I remember first? The Persistence of Memory,  

or The Temptation of St. Anthony? and why this ramble? well, it is 30 years since he died and to mark that anniversary, with the help of artificial intelligence he has been brought back to 'life', the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida, is presenting a thoroughly modern exhibit called Dali Lives, the main attraction is the chance to interact with the artist himself, Dalí Lives is a series of screens throughout the museum that will be on display as a permanent exhibit, this digital Dalí was composited from over 6000 frames of the painter pulled from video and interviews,  

the museum then partnered with ad agency Goodby Silverstein & Partners of San Francisco (GS&P) — who used Deepfake artificial intelligence technology to train the algorithm for over 1000 hours to match and learn his facial expressions, the result, combined with an actor body and voice double, is 45 minutes of content and thousands of unique interactions, if you decide to interact with Dali he may comment about the weather, the latest news, or ask you to take a selfie with him, Dali, gone but not forgotten.


No comments: