Saturday 4 March 2023

I Had A Very Trying Day,

my mobile telephone is still not working,


apparently a few months ago a local O2 mast started having problems as did my telephone, then a couple of weeks ago all calls virtually stopped, both incoming and outgoing, at that time I contacted O2 and was told about the mast, I called again last Tuesday and was told they would call back on my landline the same day, still waiting for that one! so I called again today, call started at 13.43, answered at 13.57, then disconnected, I tried again at 13.58 and finally got through, I was told work was ongoing on the mast, the company said that there was no time scale for the repair, I asked could it take weeks or months? the reply was that they could not give any indication of when the system would be working again, it seems incredible that from the centre of London, say Trafalgar Square just 9 miles away a company can not supply telephone coverage, so I asked to leave O2, after all of that the call was finished at 14.29, most of which was waiting on the telephone for O2 to answer,

moving on, call to BT at 14.30 to change providers, easier said than done, call finished at 15.23! all of this was done on my Micky Mouse landline, after all of that my arm was aching from holding the hand piece to my ear! hopefully the new BT SIM card will be arriving in the next few days, and I can receive and make telephone calls on my mobile, after all of that I watched a couple of quiz shows,

as I was meeting Steve this evening I had a quick meal, a few poppadums,

and a delicious chicken curry that Diana had made for me, 'Cheers!',

then off to the club, the tennis courts being put to good use,

the hall nearest is the pool hall which was not in use,

in the bar area only a few people, unlike last week when it was packed, I meet Steve and we chatted the night away, putting the world to rights, after saying our farewells we made a move for our homes, I just beat Diana home, so feet up for a coffee and a chat as we watched ITVX for another episode of A Touch of Frost, before we were off to bed.



 

3 comments:

jpo5626 said...

Dear Stanley andDiana-
Alley has a word (from her teacher experience in Thailand) she uses quite often now to describe what you just went through with your cell phone. “FAILED”. Yes, seems most every service or change in any systems or vendors always requires multiple contacts and time, usually with poor or no results. And, our federal government interactions are worse. Like parking on the verge, people know it is wrong but can’t help themselves so they do it anyway. Seems between systems and human error, Alley’s word “FAILED” is now spoken several times a day by us. Almost a contest between us to be first to recognize failure and then declare “FAILED”
Seems the whole world is broken now. Where did the “excell to excellence “ in all things go? Are younger people dumber or more lazy? Does the entire system of no accountability play into the failure?
Our rule is to keep things as simple as possible so we minimize failure in the now broken system.
Right now we have been trying to cancel our DISH satellite tv service. It has been about 10 days since we have started the process and all phones and websites are down. Message on both-technical event and working to resolve. Meantime I guess everything running on automatic. We are hooked up, getting billed with no way to stop service. FAILED, the reality of the new world we live in today.
Regards John and Alley

jpo5626 said...

Dear Stanley and Diana-
Just a couple of more recent examples of "FAILED" in Transportation:
-In the past five weeks, there have been FIVE near miss commercial plane collisions at major airports in US. One video shows a plane only 150 feet from landing on top of a plane taking off. Last minute, the pilot aborted landing and pulled up, just missing the other plane on the runway. Was it system error, human error, SCARY!!!!
-London bus and train schedules...I like your attitude Stan about the daily challenge to see if you can really get from point A to point B using this system. Usually, you report some type of failure and then corrective action must be taken on your part to just get back on track.
WE KNOW 95% OF SURPRISES ARE BAD, AND NOW WE ASSOCIATE THE WORK "FAILED" TO ALL OF THESE ONGOING SITUATIONS.
Our question really is, where will it end? Just hope we are not on a plane when the system fails again! Makes you want to hunker down and not engage!
Regards John and Alley

PattayaStan said...

Dear Jim and Alley, it is amazing how much time I spend on the telephone, at the shop we have changed from one telephone provider to another, 4 months to change 3 lines! we had already given details of our bank for the transfer of the 3 lines, we had to before they would start, the first line already changed, we received a few letters saying the first bill had not been paid but if we had done so disregarded the letters, on Friday we have been threatened with legal proceedings because we had not set up a bank payment with them, so on to the telephone again for me on Monday, in the queue to tell them with out out bank details they would not have started work! As for the trains every week it is a trial, as it happens train fares are going up on Monday by 5.9%, great that I have already bought this months tickets! As it happens the near misses have been reported here in the UK although I have to say just 2 or maybe 3 of them, scary in the extreme, all I can say is home the dish transfer is completed, stay safe, best regards, Stan and Diana.