Sunday 5 March 2023

We Are all Used To The Golden Colour Of Honey,

as it happens it can vary in colour,


photograph @GoldenChinchilla/Reddit, from light yellow to deep amber, depending on the type of flower that the nectar comes from, but purple honey? For the people of North Carolina, it’s less of a curiosity and more of a hard-to-come-by treat, but if you want purple honey it is the go to place, but what makes the honey purple? Some claim from fruits like blueberries or huckleberries, although scientists and beekeepers will tell you that bees don’t have strong enough teeth to bite through the skin of such berries, others say that the flowers of the Kudzu plant produce the unusual colour, while a few are convinced that it’s the southern leatherwood, but here is the thing, no one really knows for sure,

some photos of purple honey jars recently went viral on Reddit and sparked a heated discussion on whether this unusual-looking treat was real or not, according to Professor John Ambrose from North Carolina State University, purple honey might be the result of a chemical reaction between the acid in the bees’ stomachs and aluminium, apparently, the flowers in coastal North Carolina contain more aluminium than anywhere else, which would explain why this rare honey is only produced in North Carolina, and now the big question, what does purple honey taste like? Apparently the honey has a subtle taste of grapes or berries, “It’s sweet. It’s produced by the bees, but it has a fruity undertone to it,” beekeeper Donald Dees said. “It kind of goes with the unusual character of the honey being purple. It’s a fruity flavour that really no one can identify.” As you might expect demand for the honey has been high, “I’ve got it on hold,” Dees said. “I’ve got a few orders left to fill. “I couldn’t keep up with the orders there for about three or four days. I mean, I had to shut the website off, so I could get caught up with the orders to make sure I didn’t sell more than I had.” As it happens I am not a fan of honey myself, but I am sure Diana would be happy with my jar of it!


No comments: