Thursday 22 June 2023

Here Is The Deal,

hang someone for us,


photograph screen shot, and we will give you two months off of your sentence! that was the offer to Shahjahan Bhuiyan who was sentenced to 42 years in prison for murder, but after hanging 26 people during his time in prison and time off for good behaviour, he was given a reprieve of four years and four months to be taken off of his sentence, Shahjahan became a hangman at Dhaka Central Prison in 2001, after informing prison officials that he knew how to handle a rope, Bangladesh is one of the few countries in the world that carries out death sentences by hanging, so Shahjahan Bhuiyan’s skills were highly valued,

 “I had a good time,” Bhuiyan told reporters as he exited Dhaka Central Prison. "I served a prison term for a long time, but the authorities ensured my comfort and honoured me, if I didn’t hang them, someone else would have", Shahjahan explained, "Even if I feel sympathy for them, as a convict, I have to do it. I did not order the hangings, the State ordered me to do it." with no family to return to and no home to call his own, the man nicknamed ‘Jallad’ (executioner), said that he would go live with a former inmate that he had befriended in prison, I guess this is like the old adage: set a thief to catch a thief! 


No comments: